Kit No. 30 working!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Looks like I’m the first one here!

I got the kit assembled. It took a couple of days, but it worked the first time and everything seems to be operating properly.

I set the clock using the rotors like it says in the manual. I don’t have the four pushbutton switches installed on the main board yet so I had to use a piece of wire to make a temporary connection at the SW101 pads on the board.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to set the clock over the USB interface the same way the rotors, plugboard, etc. can be set. I tried sending “!TIME:” followed by various combinations of numbers but it kept saying the input wasn’t proper.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think I figured it out. After “!TIME:” you have to enter the numbers all as one string with no spaces. Starting with 4 digits for year, followed by two digits each for month, day, hours, minutes and seconds.

me2016
        Keymaster

Congrat to your working kit and your first post.
        Yes, it is a bit picky about what format you enter things in. I would love to make it smarter but it’s no space left for the code. In the choice between handling both 1/2/4 and I/II/IV for rotors or making the encryption work it’s not much of a choice – encryption must work correct all the way.
        Now ignoring space sounds small enough that I guess I could add without using that much space so I will see if I can add that to https://github.com/lpaseen/meinEnigma soonish.

me2016
      Keymaster

Version 1.05 of the code is uploaded. It will remove anything that isn’t a digit from the input. If it can’t guess the “invalid date” message now includes a hint on the format.
      Still a limit is that you need the leading zero in things like date or hour and the order must be yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss.

If you want to you can send me pictures of your build and then I will put them up on the gallery

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the update. I didn’t mind the way time was entered in the v1.03 software my kit was running. There just wasn’t an example of it in the manual so I had to keep trying various combinations of numbers until something worked.

Eventually I realized the order was year, month, day, hour, minute, second and that year had to be 4 digits and the rest have to be two digits.

Earlier today I finished some CAD drawings for an authentic-looking oak case I’m going to build. I’ll send some pictures when I get it done.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I got the v1.05 software installed. Entering time from the serial interface is easier now and the format hint is a nice touch. I see upgrading from v1.03 added a plugboard test, too.

I agree, it’s an Enigma emulator, not a clock, so the encoding/decoding functionality definitely has to have priority when it comes to programming resources.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Archives