[Support request] Kit #55 not yet working

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  me2016 1 week ago.

• Author

abuckens
    Participant

After installing the kit the arduino lights up red and the red light at the DC-DC boost converter also shows a red light. The system however does not show the flashing lights and I hear no sound. Been checking connections with a DMM but don’t find the problem. Pressing buttons result in nothing. Hoping for some tips.

me2016
    Keymaster

Hard to troubleshoot without more info. For a start connect to the serial port and see if you get anything out that way. If nothing try to remove the arduino nano from the board and see if anything comes then.

abuckens
    Participant

Get the following output:

MeinEnigma Version: 1.06
    Checksum seems OK, (A48) keeping the values
    No plugboard found
    No IC detected,assuming standalone

Version: 1.06
    Preset: 0

Odometer: 0
    TTS: ON
    Serial number: 55

Model: M3 (Enigma M3, German Navy (Kriegsmarine))
    Reflector: UKWB
    Rotors: I – II – III
    Ringstellung: – A A A
    Plugboard: virtual –
    CurrentWalze: – A A A

Ready

me2016
    Keymaster

The “No IC detected” means it can’t talk to L02 – HT16K33 and with that it assumes it’s standalone and doesn’t test anything else = no sound. I know that the chip is soldered on properly because I did ring it up to the connector before shipping it. You need to verify that all soldering points on the nano and the ones for the jumper cable are good.
    The path involved is gnd, +5, SCL (A5) & SDA (A4). With power on, verify power between cable connector (p101 & p201) pin 25(gnd) and pin 23(+5V).
    Remove power, then verify continuity from nano to chip for i2c

SCL: Nano pin 25(A5) -> p101 pin 19 -> p201 p19 ->ht16k33 pin 26
    SDA: Nano pin 23(A4) -> p101 pin 21 -> p201 p21 ->ht16k33 pin 27

abuckens
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

me2016
    Keymaster

Power – set the DMM to a range that includes 5V DC, then measure on the pins.
    I2C – Most modern DMMs have setting where it beeps when it is a short. If not you can just set it to measure resistance. Then (with no power to the board) check the connection between the pins. Also, check that it is _no_ connectivity between SCL/SDA and any other point that looks suspect.

abuckens
    Participant

My schematics show pin 24 as A5 instead of 25. Do I miss something?

me2016
      Keymaster

Just checking you are alert πŸ™‚
      Typo, 23 & 24 as the schematic states.

abuckens
    Participant

me2016
    Keymaster

abuckens
    Participant

me2016
    Keymaster

Is that missing connection on the same board or between p201 and p101 ?
    Verify that the cable is ok, pin to pin on the boards (p201 to p101)
    If broken on the lamp and keyboard, try to follow the track to see where it is broken.
    Now when all connections except com5 & com6 works, what do you get on the serial port? Does it still complain about no chip ?

me2016
    Keymaster

Any luck/progress ?

abuckens
    Participant

Been away on a short vacation. In the meantime I have been testing some additional things:

A5 all the way to pin 26 shows resistance although minor
    A4 all the way to pin 27 shows resistance although minor
    when testing ohms between P101 and P201 I see clear indication of connection on all pins.

me2016
    Keymaster

A low resistance (<2 ohm) is normal and not a problem along a trace like that. Did just check and and on my working meinEnigma it is 1.5ohm.
    For the software to find the chip it need only 4 wires to work, power, ground, A5(SCL) & A4(SDA). Now if any of those wires are shorted between each other it's of course a problem also so please verify that it's not unexpected shorts.
    If you have a oscilloscope you can look at the signal on A4/A5.
    I would have no problem taking a look at it if it wasn't for the shipping cost.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Archives