The meinEnigma is an electronic enigma replica DIY kit aimed at being as close to the original as economically possible.
The short version is that it is a kit with PCB and parts for sale starting at $300us (see the shop for details). This will give you a kit that after being assembled is an electronic enigma replica that has the size and function close to the real enigma but without a box to put it in.
Highlights of the functions:
- Full emulation of several enigma models like M3(army,Air force), M4(Submarine), more are planned like Norway(post war), Swiss and so on.
- Physical size and position of rotors, lamps, keys and plugboard within a few millimeters of original (=as far as information can be found)
- Ring setting, stepping, double stepping (including the exception when starting at a notch), plugboard all implemented as original.
- Sound effects from original enigma
- Possible to save up to 14 user configuration plus current config saved whenever turned off
- Emergency reset-to-factory-defaults red button – to wipe your settings when someone try to peek on it.
- Configurable by physically move around things (rotate wheels, connect cables) as well as over usb (serial) port.
- Can encrypt/decrypt from physical keyboard as well as serial port.
- Encrypted/decrypted character shown on lampboard and serial port.
- Can send encrypted code in morsecode
- Designed for modding, several small features that makes it easy to put it in a real case and do other modifications to it.
- Kit includes schematics
- Source code for the firmware is licensed under GPL3 and available on github
- When not used it can be set to show time
- More to come
Some pictures of it can be found in the Gallery
One early kit was sold to Jeff Tranter and he created a long list of blogposts around it, starting at http://jefftranter.blogspot.ca/2017/04/the-meinenigma-enigma-machine-kit.html
The kit and an assembled version is for sale in the Shop
The intent is to show the kit at Ottawa makerfaire Sometime in 2018.
For more information/ “I’m interested” send email to info at meinEnigma dott com or fill in this form.