This is the home of meinEnigma, an electronic enigma replica DIY kit aimed at being as close to the original as economically possible.
The short version is that it is intended to be a kit with PCB and parts for sale for $300us (see the shop for details). This will give you an electronic enigma replica that has the size and function close to the real enigma but without a box to put it in.
Highlights of the functions (with reservation for design changes due to physical/economical limits):
- Full emulation of several enigma models like M3(army,Air force), M4(Submarine), Norway(post war), Swiss and so on.
- Physical size and position of rotors, lamps, keys and plugboard within a few millimeters of original (=as far as information can be found)
- Ring setting, stepping, doublestepping (including the exception when starting at a notch), plugboard all implemented as original.
- Sound effects from original enigma
- Possible to save up to 15 user configuration plus current config saved whenever turned off
- Emergency reset-to-factory-defaults red button – to wipe your settings when someone try to peek on it.
- Configurable by physically move around things (rotate wheels, connect cables) as well as over usb (serial) port.
- Can encrypt/decrypt from physical keyboard as well as serial port.
- Encrypted/decrypted character shown on lampboard and serial port.
- Can send encrypted code in morsecode
- Designed for modding, several small features that makes it easy to put it in a real case and do other modifications to it.
- Kit includes schematics
- Sourcecode for the firmware is licensed under GPL3 and available on github
- When not used it can be set to show time
- More to come
The intent is to show the kit at Ottawa makerfaire around October 2017.
For more information/pre order/ “I’m interested” send email to info at meinEnigma dott com.
Some pictures of it can be found in the Gallery, and shop for parts is at Shop